Wednesday, April 17, 2013

New year, new number...1 in ??

Okay, so it's been a while since I've posted because, quite frankly, life is busy as hell and I've pretty much forgotten all about this. But today, I commented on someone else's blog and remembered "hey, I blogged once!", so I clicked on my own name and re-read my last post. Actually, it's the first time I've read my post since I wrote it...not too bad if I say so myself, but it's already out of date! I mean, 1 in 88? Now it's what? 1 in 50? It doesn't really matter what the actual numbers are, what matters is that our world/society is still not ready for them.

1 in 50 means that of all the 4 year olds in The Kid's school, he is that 1 in 50. Except, he's not the only 1 - there is another boy in his class who is also that 1 in 50. And there aren't 50 4 year olds.

Now, I know this isn't the least bit surprising to most people. It's not surprising to me. The "1 in 50" doesn't surprise me. When the new 'numbers' came out, I had more of the attitude of "well, duh."

No, what worries me isn't the numbers, but rather the realization that our society isn't equipped to handle the ramifications of that number. And right now, the biggest issue for me is how schools are not equipped to handle my son or any of the other 1 in 50 kids out there.

I'm terrified of school for my son. Not that he's having a bad time now - he's not. And he loves it. I've been relatively happy with his school and his teachers and the whole bit. But he's in preschool. And it's small. And it's church based. And he's 4. (That's not to say bullying doesn't happen at 4, it does - but that's a different story.)

I'm actually holding The Kid back another year before he goes to kindergarten because he will only turn 5 over the summer, and he's not really ready for that yet. So he'll have one more year in his current school, and I'm very glad for that, but next year will be here too fast and I'm not ready for that.

I'm not ready for the bigger school. I'm not ready for the bigger kids. I'm not ready for the constant worry...are the other kids bullying him? Are the teachers bullying him? Is he speaking while he's there? Is he scared? Is he safe? Is he eating? Is he anxious? Is he happy?

Of course, I know these worries aren't specific to his special needs - these worries could apply to any parent of any kid. But my kid can't tell me if anything happens. This is terrifying for me. The Kid does speak, but he's still considered non-verbal because he doesn't have what's considered natural language. Basically, he has no conversational language. He has a very big vocabulary because he never forgets a thing and so when you tell him "that's a white dogwood tree", he remembers it and can identify any white dogwood tree he sees. But, that's because he's been given the information and the words. And, it's a concrete subject. A tree is an object. It's not a feeling. It's not a thought. It's not abstract. And that's where he struggles.

He's not going to be able to tell me when someone says something to make him sad. He's not going to be able to tell me that he's anxious. Or lonely. Or afraid. Right now, he can't even tell me what he actually did each day in school, let alone how he feels.

But even all of that isn't my biggest fear. My biggest fear is that the only thing the schools are preparing my son for is to learn how to sit still. That seems to be the only goal for special needs kids - sit still and pay attention. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying paying attention is a bad thing and neither is sitting still. It's just that I know The Kid is very smart, and just because he may not be able to sit still or he may look like he's not paying attention, it doesn't mean he isn't learning or that he isn't intelligent. He has made huge strides this past year and amazes me every day with how much he knows. He may not be able to verbalize what he's thinking all the time, but he's a sponge and is constantly soaking up information and he loves learning!

My biggest fear is that the teachers and the school system are going to overlook my son because he's 1 in 50. They're going to overlook him because our school systems are set up to teach in one way. They're not equipped to be able to teach to kids who may learn differently. They're not equipped to be able to recognize that intelligence doesn't always look the same in every kid. And I'm scared.

I know there are lots of schools out there that are working on getting equipped. I know there are lots of schools out there that do use different approaches for different kids. I know those places exist. But for us, in our little town, they don't. And I don't have the means to pick up and move us someplace else. I do have hope in one small private school here in our little town, but they don't have the services to be able to accept my son...at least, not yet. I'm still working on them. I'm still hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment